Welcome to Yahweh Yoga!
Downward Facing Dog
Step By Step
- Come onto the floor on your hands and knees.
- Set up proper alignment; knees under hips, hands under shoulders and slightly wider than shoulders width, wrist creases parallel, fingers spread and claw into mat.
- Inhale and squeeze arms together, firm shoulder blades against back, tuck toes and allow hips to rise. Pressing the earth away from you.
- Heals stretch to or onto the floor.
- Head stays between the arms not dangling free.
- The heart is reaching for the thighs.
- Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression.
- Energizes the body.
- Stretches the shoulders, hamstrings, calves, arches and hands.
- Strengthens the arms and legs.
- Helps relieve symptoms of menopause.
- Helps prevent osteoporosis.
- Improves digestion.
- Relieves headache, insomnia, back pain and fatigue.
- Therapeutic for high blood pressure, asthma, flat feet, sciatica, sinusitis.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Pregnancy: Do not do this pose late-term.
- High blood pressure or headache: Support your head on a bolster or block, ears level between arms.
- Foundation: Hands turned in, fingertips up, metacarpals lifted.
- Foundation: Feet too wide, turned in, rolled out.
- Foundation: Too short of a stance.
- Straight knees but round back.
- Inner spiral upper arms, resulting in bent elbows, shoulders at ears, and scapula off back.